|Parker Homestead - 1665|
The Parker Homestead, a National Historic site, is considered one of the oldest dwellings still standing in New Jersey. It has been in the same family since 1665, the year after England took control of a previous Dutch colony, a portion of which would be renamed New Jersey. The English were eager to populate this new territory,offering land grants to new settlers.
Two brothers -- Quakers Peter and Joseph Parker -- traveled from Rhode Island and acquired 420 acres that stretched between the present-day Navesink and Shrewsbury rivers, and included the remaining ten-acre property that is the Parer Homestead-1665.
The pre-Reviolutionary structures on the property date to the 1720s, and were home to members of the Parker family. Upon her death in 1995, Julia Parker -- the last of seven generations to occupy the home -- gifted the property to the Borough of Little Silver, with the stipulation it be preserved as a historic landmark for educational purposes.
Visit the official website for more information and updates on the renovation and preservation process: