2015 Meeting Schedule
Functions of Environmental Commission
The Environmental Commission is an advisory body to the Planning/Zoning Board and to the Mayor and Council. Its goal is to protect Little Silver’s natural resources and open space by preventing the degradation of the environment through improper use of the land and water. To carry out these functions the Environmental Commission has developed an Environmental Resource Inventory and Open Space and Recreational Plan which catalog the Borough’s natural habitat environment.
The Environmental Commission reviews all plans for construction with respect to the environmental impact on the subject site and adjacent properties and makes recommendations to the Planning/Zoning Board. The Environmental Commission is especially focused on maintaining water quality, storm water runoff, erosion and wetlands disturbance. We also review CAFRA or Army Corps of Engineers permits for regional plans on the Shrewsbury River .
The Environmental Commission is involved in many activities to promote a healthy habitat for Little Silver residents and wildlife including:
· Monthly water quality monitoring of our streams and waterways
· Sponsor clean-ups of our roadways, parks and open space
· Coordinate with adjacent municipalities to study interrelated environmental issues and problems
· Apply for grants to fund and maintain Little Silver’s open space and wildlife habitats
· Provide stormwater management techniques to prevent trash and lawn chemicals from entering drainage systems and waterways.
· Develop educational brochures to inform residents on how to protect water quality.
· Maintain relationships with and participate in programs sponsored by State, Federal and County agencies and environmental associations
· Promote and support recycling and litter prevention programs
Copies of the Little Silver Watershed are available at Borough Hall and the Library. This pamphlet includes information on sound environmental techniques to protect and enhance your quality of life in Little Silver.
Borough of Little Silver